Where you live

There are a few different types of places you may live. Find out more below.

The Local Authority should try to make sure that you can:

  • live with someone in your extended family, or a good friend
  • live near your family home
  • continue your education with as little disruption as possible
  • live with your brothers and sisters if you are all in care

Sometimes it will not be possible to do all these things, and your social worker should explain to you the reasons why.

Living with foster carers and their family

Foster parents or carers are people who look after children and young people in their home. They are all different people from all walks of life – but they are all trained in the same way, to make sure you are looked after to stay safe and healthy. They have been checked to make sure that they get on well with children and would make good carers.

Family and friends as carers

Some children in care are looked after by relatives, such as an auntie or uncle or grandparents, or someone familiar to the young person, like a family friend. Children’s Services check to make sure that they are able to care for you properly.

Living in a children’s home

This is sometimes called a residential unit. It means living with up to four or five other children and young people with a staff team who are there to look after you. There will be one staff member who will be there to help you. They may be called your Key Worker. Usually it is young people over the age of ten who live in a children’s home. You will have your own bedroom and share bathrooms, lounge and kitchen.

Skip to content